bottlesThe size of the container for alcoholic drinks that can be used depends on whether the drink is sold ‘open’ or ‘closed’.

If the alcohol is sold in an open glass or other container, then the requirements are that the following sizes must be available :
  • Beer or cider – half pint
  • Gin, rum, vodka or whisky – 25ml or 35ml
  • Still wine in a glass – 125ml

There are specific requirements in relation to the marking of some drinking vessels and we can advise on this if needed.

For sealed containers, the rules are slightly different depending on the drink.
  • For still wine, the sizes are : 100 ml, 187 ml, 250 ml, 375 ml, 500 ml, 750 ml, 1000 ml and 1500 ml
  • For sparkling wine, it is 125 ml, 200 ml, 375 ml, 750 ml and 1500 ml.

Please note that this is only a partial outline of the legal provisions and if you would like further information, please contact us and we will be happy to advise.