Playing music in public can require a variety of licences.

Firstly, it is possible that a Premises licence must be obtained from the Council or a Temporary Event Notice given unless the music is incidental to something else – for example, background music in a shop. There are a number of other exemptions, including ;

  • music played as part of a religious service
  • live music played between 8am and 11pm for no more than 200 people at a workplace or place licensed to sell alcohol
  • unamplified live music between 8am and 11pm
  • music played in a moving vehicle
  • music played on an aircraft, hovercraft or train that is on a journey
  • music played on a vessel on an international journey
  • music played at an approved wharf at designated ports and hoverports
  • music played at an examination station at designated airports
  • music played at a royal palace
  • music played at a place occupied by the armed forces
  • music played at garden fetes, providing that there is no private gain

Care must be taken not to fall foul of the law as the penalties are very severe.

In addition, there are Royalty issues and licences may be needed from the Performing Rights Society and/or Phonographic Performance Limited. These will apply even if there is an exemption from a Premises Licence or Temporary Event Notice.  Please visit their websites for further details.

licensing solicitors concerts festivals safety advisory group alcohol

We specialise in outdoor music events and concerts, having been recognised as one of the leading firms for outdoor music events.  We are able to act on your behalf to obtain any licences that you might need.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.